Friday, 3 September 2010

Welcome home Molly Popples

What a week it’s been! As many of you know, Molly Pops has been very poorly since we returned from the weekend camping. On Tuesday, the vet said that she wasn’t improving as well as they were hoping. Trudes was told that we should realistically prepare for the worst. This decision was pending a conversation with one of the directors of TLDR, fortunately the vet was told to do everything that was needed to give Molly every chance of a full recovery before considering the final option. On Wednesday Trudes and I went up to the hospital to see her, what a change! The listless little pup that we left there on Monday was nowhere to be seen. In its place was our little girl, she made all her noises and danced around her little kennel as though nothing had happened. Later that night Trudes phoned the vets, on a different matter which I’ll come to in a bit. The vet told her that our visit, albeit brief, had done Molly the power of good, and that she would most likely be coming home tomorrow. Such sweet news, so with help from a close friend, we set off to bring our princess home. We had a very good chat with the vet, he gave us some advice regarding her jabs, and he has also suggested that we take her for a glucose curve once a week. This will help to monitor her glucose levels so that we can ensure that she’s getting the right amount of insulin. Molly is home now, and as I write this she is curled up on the sofa next to her momma snoring away quite happily. This house is once again a home.

Yesterdays excellent news about Molly did come at a price; well we thought so at the time. After the hospital we returned home and on the way we had to drop off food for Obi Kat, as we were leaving the little tinker shot out into the main road. We set off in pursuit as the road at the front of the house can get quite busy and he only really goes out in the back yard. Well the inevitable happened and there was a very loud thud. Suddenly I felt something wash over me that I haven’t felt for a very long time, it was really only after the event that I realised that I had become angry, although absolutely fuming would be a better description. There was lots of swearing and ranting on my behalf, I think the poor lass who was driving must have been absolutely terrified. Firstly hitting a cat and then having me ranting at her in my best angry voice. Bless her though she did offer to help, but I just swore at her some more and suggested that she left the area. With the help of a couple of friends, search parties were sent out but to no avail. it was whilst we were search for Obi that Trudes phoned the vet, who told her that a cat will tend to hide away until it has calmed down, then once the nerves have settled and the adrenaline has worn off they usually come home if they are able to. With nothing more to do than wait for Obi Kat to return home of his own volition. We also had to get Trudes home so that she could rest, so plans were put into place for the event of his return.

This morning I received word that he had indeed returned home and appeared to be no worse for wear, he does have a splintered claw and grazed pad, but that may have happened when he bolted. Before we went to collect Molly, Trudes and I went to see Obi to discover that he is indeed absolutely fine; maybe his moggie pride has taken a bit of a bashing. So despite the worry of Molly and the moggie, it’s all sorted and both the fur balls that I love are fine, although I have to say that I don’t really view Obi as my cat any more. He came into my life at a time when I needed something to take my mind off the situation I was in with my life. Fortunately I know that Obi will be loved by his new friend as much, if not more than me. I will still visit him and take him food and treats, but it seems the right thing to do, as much as I would love to have him with me, there is too many complications. With Percy the (non) homing pigeon doing a good impression of kitty lunch, we’d be forever shooing him away from the feathered fella.

So with Molly home and almost back to full health, we have opened our eyes to the fact that her time with us is really limited. We don’t know if we will get just a few more short weeks or a few months, either way we will make every moment we have with her as precious as we possibly can. We will love her and ensure that her quality of life is the best we can provide. We also need to use the time we have with her to prepare ourselves for the day when Molly does cross the rainbow bridge. I know that no matter how much we prepare for that day, it will break my heart. However we will both know that when she crosses the bridge she will have Sam and Willow and Max, Trudes’ previous and much loved dogs, waiting for her to chase squibbles and snuffle rabbit raisins, I can just see the four of them sniggering at the stories each of them have about their lives with Trudes, and in Molly’s’ case the both of us. But for now, all that matters is that she is at home with us where she belongs.

So we come to the end of another solemn blog, well almost. I’m actually going to end with something a bit cheerful, well for me anyway. Sitting at the shop are seven boxes from Games Workshop, they are brand new copies of The Island of Blood. Three copies have been ear marked, I know that one is for me and one is more than likely for Smiffy. It will be so bloomin’ hard not to come home without it on Saturday. But, considering I’ve put this on my Chrimbo pressie list (113 days), if I were to bring it home I think I will be sleeping in, if not under, the shed.

Yay, a happy ending, well sort of, I Love my dog, I love my girly, I love my ex cat and I even love the (non) homing pigeon in the back garden. I’m off to catch up on all the Molly snuggles of missed out on over the last few days.

Nite all!



Unknown said...

You know where I am if you need someone to talk to mate. I'll always be at the end of a phone for you.

The Daily Pip said...

So glad you had a last night with Molly at home ...I am sure it meant the world to all three of you. Also, glad Obi made it home OK.

Your very sad pal, Pip